S&Co’s focus is closely held businesses and their owners. Our typical business client has a small accounting staff or none at all. It is also common for the proprietor and any accounting staff to become entrenched in the day-to-day operations and not have the time to take a high level view of the business strategy and plan for the future. That is when having a CFO on-call is invaluable. Generally speaking, our CFO On-Call services fall into three phases: Initial Review, On-Going Support and Long-Term Planning.
As part of our client intake process, S&Co performs an initial review of every new business client. One of the goals from this initial review is to ensure that accounting systems and procedures are in place to ensure accurate and timely financial reports and tax returns. The initial assessment includes:
- A Review of Current Operations,
- Understanding and Evaluating the Cash Flows of the Business,
- Accounting Clean-up, and
- Recommendations for improvement.
As your business progresses, questions arise, the regulatory environment changes and new opportunities are discovered. As the CFO On-Call, S&Co is here to answer your questions, enabling you to navigate a path to a better bottom line. Here is a sampling of questions we routinely answer for our clients:
- What type of legal entity is best for my business?
- What transaction is subject to sales tax?
- How do I record this transaction in Quickbooks?
- Do I need to issue a Form 1099?
- What is the best available financing?
- Should I buy or lease my car?
- How is the new tax law going to impact me?
- How can I minimize my income tax liability?
Identifying long-term goal(s) for you and your business is vital. Once you know where you are going we can assist in the implementation of steps to get you there and periodically measure your progress toward that goal(s). As your trusted advisors, we are here to serve as a sounding board for new ideas, bring a high-level CFO perspective to growth and create strategic plans for increasing profits. Having a clear and planned picture will help you realize both your personal and company goals. The long-term planning portion of being your CFO On-Call includes:
- Succession and Exit Planning
- Periodic Valuations of your Business
- Structuring Compensation Plans
- Managing Banking Relationships
- Merger, acquisition and divestiture support.